Saturday, April 18, 2009

Kimber Lynn

My darling Kimber has arrived and is now almost 2 1/2 days old. If you have a weak stomach, now is the spot to just skip to the pictures, since she was by far my worst labor of my three girls.
Many of you know that the last week and a half of my pregnancy with Kimber she was back and forth between breech and vertex about three times. Anyway, I had also had elevated blood pressures, so Dr. Izu (who is wonderful) put me on the induction list for last Wednesday. To make a long story short, they didn't have room Wednesday, and actually called me at about 12:45 in the morning on Thursday to come in and start the process. Once we got to the hospital the nurse started all my intake stuff, started my IV and started my pitosin just before 2 in the morning. Then, about 3:15 or so Dr. Izu came in and broke my water, then they came in to give me my epidural around 3:45. At that point I was only about a 3, but since they had broken my water they went ahead and started my epidural. Anyway, she missed the first time and got me on the second stick, so that gave me a little relief for about two hours. But, then I started feeling more and more pain and I just figured my labor was getting harder. Anyway, by the time the shift changed, my new nurse checked me and I was only at a five, even though I was having to bear down some to just make it through the contractions. She decided to have the anestesiologist come in and check on me and he discovered that my epidural catheter had come out of my back (no wonder it hurt so badly!). So, by now it was about 8:30 in the morning and they finally got in a working epidural, at which point I mostly went to sleep, or at least was able to relax a little between each contraction.
A little before 10:00 I became rather alert and was really feeling like I needed to push, so I called in the nurse and she told me that I was complete and they were going to take me into the delivery room, where she would have me push most of the way and then call the doctor. We got down there and I think she had me push about 3 times before she called the doctor in, then with one or two more pushes Kimber was born at 10:16 am on the 16th of April. She weighed 8 lbs. 11 oz. (exactly what I did as a baby....I'm sorry mom!) and was 21 inches long. She was beautiful and I adore her already. So, the labor was pretty rough, until I finally got a working epidural, plus she was my biggest baby (by nearly 2 pounds) so I'm pretty sore.
Kimber was far more interested in sleeping than eating and so she slept for about 4 hours before I could even get her to wake up enough to try. She is a champion nurser, which I was pretty happy about since my other two had a really hard time. Anyway, since she was a big baby, they had to do periodic blood sugars and at one point she was only at a 27...which landed her in the NICU with an IV in her head to get her some immediate sugar. It was extremely sad to watch them try to get an IV in her because they hit veins in both wrists, but then they would blow when they tried to put the fluids through. I know I don't like IV's so I'm sure they weren't pleasant for her either. Anyway, they were checking her blood sugar every three hours, before each feeding, and once she finally got it up it only fell hard one time. So, by Friday mid-morning they started weening her off her IV fluids to see if she would maintain her sugar levels on her own. It took until 5 this morning (Saturday) but they were able to get the IV off and she kept her levels up enough for us to finally be discharged around 5 this afternoon. It is so nice to be home and she really is a very good baby. She wakes up to eat but then sleeps rather well, even with her crazy sisters around. =)
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I hope you enjoy the pictures!


Anonymous said...

Sorry we havent been on here lately. We've been so busy, not even time for us to blog, but your little Kimber Lynn is such a doll. Glad that things were worked out for you and everyone's healthy!

lrbodine said...

I don't think I would have lasted long if my epidural came out! Yikes. I'm glad everything turned out okay and Kimber is finally here. Can't wait to hold her in another month or so!

Lara said...

She's super cute, congratulations!

Chloe had to get an IV in her head and it made me so upset...especially after just having gone through labor and my hormones wacko. I'm glad that Kimber's sugar stabilized quickly.